Identifying skill gaps
A key piece of information an organisation needs to know is what skills and knowledge the organisation has. This information is essential for a number of reasons:
- It determines whether the organisation can meet its goals.
- Without this information the organisation doesn’t know where to improve.
- Training and development will be better targeted.
- Recruiting needs are better defined and more likely to result in the most appropriate candidate.
Skills audit is a process that can be used to identify the skill gaps in an organisation. The outcome is a training needs analysis that identifies where training is needed.
So a skills audit results in:
- An understanding of the skills required and gaps the organisation currently has.
- A targeted analysis of development needs.
- A listing of people who need development.
- Data that can be used for purposes such as internal selection.
- Information that can be used for dynamic succession planning.