Sample development activities
When we think about professional development, the first thing that comes to mind is formal learning. According to the 70:20:10 principle, we are only thinking about the tip of the iceberg.
Let’s take the example of an employee who needs to develop public speaking skills.
This is what a typical development plan would look like:
And now here’s what a 70:20:10 development plan looks like:
This table explains the key differences:
A typical development plan
- 2 activities
Completed over 2 weeks
- No clear return on investment
- Learn and forget approach
- One-way learning process
(completed by themselves)
A 70:20:10 development plan
- 5 activities
Developed over 6 months
- Demonstrated return on investment
- Continuous learning approach
- Multifaceted learning process (involved others within the business)
Dive deeper in our article on Seriously Good Learning & Development.